16 May 2011

Good and Cheap

Couponing. Planning the menu around what's on sale. Sound familiar, anyone? Sometimes I'll buy an item because it's such a great deal, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. Like this.


Last month, I bought this product for just cents. I also had a scary amount of pasta. Harris Teeter was practically giving the stuff away, AND Addie's rice pasta had been on sale. So, needless to say, we needed some different ways to eat pasta! So here's what we've eaten twice now, and Travis and I love it. It satisfies that spicy craving. And gets rid of the pasta.

I know the picture is a little quirky, but I was determined to get those flowers in the picture. Anyways, here's the recipe for Santa Fe Penne Pasta:

1 1/2 cups of cubed chicken
vegetables (Last time, I used onion, asparagus, and squash. This time, I used zuchinni and grated carrots. Pretty much, I use what's on sale.)
1 tub of Santa Fe Philadelphia cooking creme
about 1/3 cup of milk
penne pasta, cooked (enough for 4 people)

Slice up the veggies and saute in olive oil.

Add the cubed chicken to the pan of of vegetables.



Add the creme to the pan while the pasta is boiling. (I added about two cups of chicken stock to the pot of water to boil the noodles.) Add 1/3 to maybe 1/2 cup of milk to the creme mixture and stir frequently.


When the pasta is done, do not rinse. Simply drain, divide it into bowls, and spoon the sauce over the top. Since we like ours a little spicy, we sprinkled red pepper flakes on it.

The sauce served my family of two adults and two children. And, honestly, I do not know nor want to know the nutritional value and caloric content. It contained vegetables, carbohydrates, and protein. And in my book, that's a well-balanced meal. We'll worry about the cholesterol another night. So enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I also just brought some of the cooking creme home thanks to a free coupon (sign up for Kraft First Taste if you haven't already...when they come out with new items they send you coupons for a free item). I made enchiladas with mine. Very good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I'll have to sign up for the coupons! Love the free stuff :)

    ReplyDelete